This is the second blog post assignment for IST 486. For those WNS readers stumbling across this post, this was an assignment where I had to send a memo to a fictional CEO about why we would need a social media worker for our company. Additionally, there is a job description listing to go along with it. Enjoy!
From: William Raabe, Marketing Director
Re: Proposal for Hiring of a Social Media Strategist
Since the inception of our social media use for our grocery store chain, we are now in need of someone to fill a full-time position regarding our social media usage. When we started using the various social media platforms, we did so without a plan and a purpose. Rather, we did so primarily only because we saw our competitors were using them. With the hiring of a Social Media Strategist, we will be able to fully utilize these platforms to their highest potentials and strengths. By putting more resources into the management and planning of our social media efforts, we will be able to further our business goals as well as our continued messaging and communication. Instead of us working to keep up on social media, we can make social media work for us.
As the amount of social media use, as well as the number of actual platforms, has increased over the years, we now find our company in need of a specialist to organize and control our messaging over these mediums. By hiring a strategist, we will be able to better coordinate our outward messaging as well as our consumer interactions through these mediums. It is no longer feasible for us to treat the use of social media as an optional activity and something that is just tacked onto another job. These platforms are where our consumers are and we need to be there to continue the conversation with them. We need someone who can devote their full time to the strategy and execution of any social media tactics we employ. This Social Media Strategist would also alleviate some of my current responsibilities and I would be able to continue to focus on our marketing efforts. Additionally, the Social Media Strategist would work alongside myself in order to ensure that our messaging is consistent across all forms of communication that our stores use.
The term “strategist” for the position implies that they will have a strong understanding of the advantages and disadvantages of each platform and that they would be responsible for creating an overarching messaging strategy for our brand. The position’s responsibilities would include: the creation and execution of digital messaging campaigns, following and reacting to current trends, cultivating social media platforms to further business objectives and collaboration with other employees to ensure that all messaging efforts are consistent.
I would suggest the hiring of this Social Media Strategist as soon as possible. The sooner this position is filled, the sooner we can improve upon our current social media use. I will personally work with the Social Media Strategist to ensure a smooth transition into our company.
Thank you for your consideration,
Farm Fresh is one of the leading mid-sized grocery store chains in the country when it comes to providing a large selection of all-natural products. We pride ourselves in providing the freshest possible products in a manner that helps to ensure healthy lifestyles.
The Social Media Strategist will coordinate the company’s social media strategies and campaigns. As our Social Media Strategist, you’ll be responsible for managing all of our social media platforms as well as working closely with the Marketing Director and other employees to ensure consistent messaging strategies. You’ll be responsible for furthering business goals and driving sales, as well as providing worthwhile content for our audiences.
- Develop an overarching strategy for communication across different social media platforms.
- Stay up to date with the latest trends and technologies used in the social media world and adapt strategies when applicable.
- Provide meaningful content for the appropriate audiences across all of the social media platforms.
- Engage in dialogues and answer consumer questions and concerns when appropriate.
- Work with the Marketing Director to help implement marketing and business objectives across various social media platforms.
- Analyze campaigns to monitor overall effectiveness, reach, interactions and sales goals.
- Compile qualitative and quantitative data and develop reports outlining suggestions for future campaigns and strategies.
- Monitor and listen to our social media platforms in order to keep up with what our audience is talking about and how we should respond.
- Provide design oversight for content and images that will be used across all of our social media platforms.
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Must have at least a Bachelor’s Degree or higher in relation to communications or marketing.
- Must have a keen understanding about the various strengths and weaknesses for all major social media networks (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Foursquare, Tumblr, Google +, Pinterest, YouTube, etc.).
- Must have exceptional language and writing skills.
- Maintains strong technical skills and can adapt to new changes quickly and proficiently.
- Demonstrates creative thinking and has a strong sense of design.
- Must have a thorough understanding of communication and marketing goals and how to implement them into social media messaging.
Web sources for reference:
- Kruse, Kathi. “Social Media Manager Job Description: A Complete Guide.”Kruse Control Inc. N.p., 23 June 2014. Web. 11 Oct. 2014. <http://www.krusecontrolinc.com/social-media-manager-job-description-guide/>.http://www.pewinternet.org/fact-sheets/social-networking-fact-sheet/
- Lee, Kevan. “How to Choose the Right Social Network for Your Business.”Buffer Social. N.p., 21 Aug. 2014. Web. 10 Oct. 2014. <http://blog.bufferapp.com/how-to-choose-a-social-network>.
- “Social Media Marketing Manager Job Description | Echogravity.”Echogravity. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Oct. 2014. <http://echogravity.com/social-media-marketing-manager-job-description/>.
- “Social Networking Fact Sheet.” Pew Research Centers Internet American Life Project RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Oct. 2014. <http://www.pewinternet.org/fact-sheets/social-networking-fact-sheet/>.
- Holloman, Christer, and Eb Adeyeri. The Social Media Mba: Your Competitive Edge in Social Media Strategy Development & Delivery. Chichester, West Sussex, U.K: Wiley, 2012. Print.